Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Bears and other treasures - a letter from Great Britain

BEARS AND OTHER TREASURES

Country: Great Britain
Place:  Wirral
Received: 13/03/2013
Distance: 1 857 km
Travelled: 21 days

A letter from Scriptor

Great envelope


My partner likes this chubby bear. When I take my second portion of sweets sometimes, he jokes and says "Come on, where's our envelope?". A hint: "Dear, you are about to look like this bear soon" :)

"Do you like my hat?"

This card is magnificent! Unfortunately, I was not able to find any origins except of it's title...


Baby's First Book

"Baby's First Book" is a picture book for toddlers. It was written by B.Lewis and published with this cover in 1954.


Royal Liver Building

The Royal Liver Building in Liverpool was built in 1911 and is the home of the Royal Liver Assurance Group. With the height of 90 m it was the tallest building in Europe until 1934 and in the United Kingdom until 1961. The building has clocks 7.6 m in diameter, which is more than Big Ben's. They were named George clocks, because of being started at the time that King George V was crowned on 22 June 1911.


Double-decker

Double-decker buses are common in the United Kingdom and became a national symbol of England and British Isles. The first woman licensed to drive a double-decker became Miss Phyllis Thompson in 1941.


Elizabeth II


Goldilocks and the Three Bears

"Goldilocks and the Three Bears" is a famous fairy-tale by Robert Southey, published in 1837 and translated into many languages.



Paddington Bear

You may find more about this cute bear from this post in my blog.


Rupert the Bear


Rupert Bear is a comic character created by Mary Tourtel and first appearing in the Daily Express newspaper in 1920. He was originally depicted as a brown bear, but the color changed to white soon. To save on printing costs :)

9 comments:

  1. I love your bear-jokes :-) Whet at a nice stamps. Goldilocks and the Three Bears, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner calls me a bear sometimes :) And I have one cute from him to give me as a birthday present. I've also made a bear-looking pillow for him a bit later :) And he presented me valenki (kind of felt boots) with Olympic Bears to wear in winter.

      Delete
    2. Great! And thats the reason you have a bear-pic as avator?! Who are you now. I hope to see a new blogpost! You write so cute and good.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know the clocks on the Liver Building were named George clocks. You've found out some fascinating information.

    I wish I knew more about the girl in the hat. I have a few cards like that and have also received one. It's frustrating not knowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I found about the girl in the hat was the title of this card on Zazzle website. Maybe you should try to use this reverse image search for your cards to identify - http://www.tineye.com/ (if you haven't used before). You may upload your picture there and it's searching over the web to find out similar images. Maybe someone has these pictures already identified.

      Delete
    2. Wow. I never knew that. It could be very useful;, thanksd.

      Delete
  3. Hello Mish,

    I was wondering around bloggers and found you in one of Aritha's (Post for Me) blog entry :)

    I love your page! Especially the pressed petals background.

    I love the bear joke too and that double decker from London.

    Your newest follower,
    Maria
    lostforwords101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maria, thank you for passing by my blog and stopping :) I appreciate having you as a follower :) Unfortunately have some problems adding a comment to your posts from my PC at work, need to try from home. So, am sending it here with a hope you see :) I like your blog and want to thank you for giving me an opportunity to know amazing mail projects you are participating in! I need to learn more about them, follow, comment and participate :)

      Delete
  4. Great post! My eye went to the 'Baby's first picture book'. I had that book when I was a toddler (and I might still have it somewhere). I also remember Rupert Bear from my childhood. Happy Days!
    Thanks,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete